How to Qualify
You can qualify if you are:
- Serving on active duty during a war or other military operation, national emergency, or
- Performing qualifying National Guard duty during a war, other military operation, or national emergency.
Qualifying loan types include Stafford loans, PLUS loans and Consolidation loans.
How to Apply
- Download the Military Service Deferment.
- Complete and return the form with the required documentation. You can submit your documentation to our correspondence address in one of two ways:
- Send a copy of your military orders or a written statement from your commanding or personnel officer; or
- Have your commanding or personnel officer certify your military service using Section 4 of the deferment form.
Other Important Information
Under this deferment, you are not required to make payments on your loans, and you will not be charged interest on your subsidized loans. However, you will be charged interest on your unsubsidized loans unless you qualify for the 0% interest accrual benefit. Any interest remaining at the end of the deferment period may be capitalized (added to the principal balance).
Please be advised, periods of training or while attending service school do not qualify for this deferment. If you cannot submit a deferment request form or other documentation, a verbal request from you or your representative is acceptable, while pending documentation. Deferment based on a verbal request is limited to an initial 12-month period.
If you have any questions about the Military Service Deferment, please contact one of our loan specialists.